czwartek, 19 kwietnia 2012

REVIEW - Hunger (Gone #2) by Michael Grant

TITLE: Hunger (Gone #2)
AUTHOR: Michael Grant
GENRE: dystopia, post-apocalyptic, paranormal

PUBLICATION DATE: May 26th 2009
BLURB:
It's been three months since everyone under the age of fifteen became trapped in the bubble known as the FAYZ.
Three months since all the adults disappeared. GONE.
Food ran out weeks ago. Everyone is starving, but no one wants to figure out a solution. And each day, more and more kids are evolving, developing supernatural abilities that set them apart from the kids without powers. Tension rises and chaos is descending upon the town. It's the normal kids against the mutants. Each kid is out for himself, and even the good ones turn murderous.
But a larger problem looms. The Darkness, a sinister creature that has lived buried deep in the hills, begins calling to some of the teens in the FAYZ. Calling to them, guiding them, manipulating them.
The Darkness has awakened. And it is hungry.

REVIEW:
I’ve read Gone, which is the first book in Michael Grant’s Gone series, quite a while ago. It left a deep impression on me and I was excited to read the second book!

Hunger picks up almost three months after the events presented in the first book. The kids, trapped in a big dome called FAYZ, are running out of food and it pushes them into decisions they would normally regret. But the hunger is bigger. Sam, who is assigned as a ‘mayor’ of the FAYZ, is falling apart just as everyone else. Can he bear the responsibility of starving 300 kids to death?

What I love the most about Gone series are the characters. As one of the characters, Quinn, noticed, FAYZ changes them for better or worse. Their true colors show, changing the good kids into cowards and the thugs into people everyone run to when in trouble, because they are so reliable.

My absolute favorite character is still Sam – he’s so human he almost feels real. He’s failing his friends, he makes a ton of mistakes but… but inside of that tough, responsible interior of a guy in charge is a 15 years old boy, as scared as everyone else.

Hunger didn’t keep me on the edge of the seat just as Gone did; I’ve grown used to terrible things happening to the kids, which felt disturbing and new in the first book, but not anymore. After some time, you just become accustomed to monstrosities. Even though Michael grant surprised me a few times in this book too.

I am still a little bit iffy about some generic, non-describable ‘darkness’ being the big bad villain. I love every other aspect of the series, but I still can’t accept something like this as the plot device. Maybe the later books in the series will persuade me otherwise.

Because I am definitely picking up ‘Lies’ later!

Overall:
3.5 stars out of 5.

0 komentarze:

Prześlij komentarz

I ♥ comments! Please comment and I will be a very happy person.